Kusadasi is a district of Aydin province. Located in the northern region of the province, 71 km in the province of Aydin, 95 km in Izmir. The construction of the Aegean Sea town, one of Turkey’s most important tourism centers.
The area of the district is 264 square kilometers. The population is 81 thousand 295 according to the 2009 Address Based Population Census.
It is believed that Ephesus had established it under the name of Neopolis under the name Ionian.
The city was previously located on the outskirts of Pilavtepe, called Andizkulesi. After a while, Venice and the Genoese dominated these coasts, which belonged to the Byzantines, economically. The reasons for transportation difficulties are; It was built under the name New Scaffolding (Scala Nuova) in its current location from Andızkulesi locality.
Set the name of Kuşadası The Gulf of Kuşadası and its immediate surroundings have been designed as an art and cultural center and have been home to various civilizations since the early ages.
B.C. Leleges in 3000 BC, BC. Aiols in the 11th century, BC. They dominated the Ions in the 9th century. The area between Büyük Menderes and Gediz Rivers is called Ionia in ancient times. As a merchant and sailor, Ions soon became rich in overseas trade and had a superior political power. They have established 12 cities that have been named “Ionian Colonies Tarih in history.
Kuşadası was one of the harbor ports that opened the Mediterranean Sea of Anatolia in ancient times. It was called Neopolis at that time. B.C. In the 7th century, Lydia, whose capitals were Sardis, dominated the region.
B.C. Persian domination began in 546, BC. It continued until Alexander the Great conquered all of Anatolia in 334 BC. After that, a new era, a new understanding of art and culture was dominant in the synthesis of Greek civilization and native Anatolian civilization in Anatolia and this era was called as “Hellenistic Age”. Ephesus, Miletus, Priene and Didim are the most famous cities of this period.
B.C. In the 2nd century, the Romans dominated the region. In the early years of Christianity, the Virgin Mary and St. Apostle of St. John came to settle in Ephesus, this place has become a religious center. Miletus was also the center of the Episcopal in the Christian era. It was called ia Ania ında in the Byzantine Age. Kuşadası has been a port used by pirates in the Middle Ages. In the 15th century, during the Venetian and Genoese period, the city was named Scala Nuova.
In 1086, with the addition of Suleymanşah I to the Seljuk Empire, Turkish rule began. The region became an export gate of the caravan routes to the Aegean during this period. However, the sovereignty of the Seljuk State lasted a short time due to the 1st Crusades and was re-acquired by the Byzantine Empire. At the end of the 1280s, the Menteşeoğulları came under the rule of the Ottomans between 1397-1402. Between 1402-1425 Aydınoğulları’nın passed into the hands of the Ottomans in 1425, although certainly seized the region.
Kuşadası was added to the Ottoman rule by Mehmet 1 (Çelebi) in 1413. After this date, the city remained entirely in the hands of the Turks and began to fill with works of Turks. Of these, the caravanserai and Kuşadası’na fortifications, which was built by Mehmet Pasha.
The city, which was surrounded by walls, could only be accessed through three gates at that time. One of these gates separates Barbaros Hayrettin Pasa Street and Kahramanlar Street and the upper part of the city is used as the Regional Traffic Authority. Other doors are not available today.
Güvercinada, which served as an important military base for the Byzantines, underwent a great renovation in 1834 and its famous castle was built. The name “Kuşadası gelmek comes from this castle.
Kuşadası entered the occupation of Italy between 1919-1921 during the War of Independence and the invasion of Greece by their withdrawal and escaped from the occupation of the enemy on 7 September 1922.